Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Embarrassing moment

Embarrassing to say the least. When I was new to sales and customer service, working at Enterprise Rent-A-Car in Dyersburg, TN, I made a really bad error. This happened in 1999.

I was reminded of this by recent conversation with the man who was my manager at the time - Rich. He was an excellent manager, and taught me a lot. However, at the time of this "incident," I simply had much to learn.

A customer had locked a set of keys in a rental car, forcing us to get an additional set of keys cut. Rich informs me that I need to tell the customer that there is a charge for that, as the keys were not free to Enterprise, either. I think the charge was something minimal - $25 or so.

I had trouble thinking of a good way to express this to the customer. Finally, I made up my mind (customer was on hold on the phone at the time):
"Sir, don't be surprised if there is a $25 charge on your credit card to cover the price of the keys."

Rich immediately chided me when I hung up the phone: "that's a terrible way to say that!" His half-smile indicating not only his displeasure with me, but also his incredulity at my lack of tact. 

He was RIGHT! That was a terrible way to say that. Not sure I could say it worse if I had to - even now, some 13 years later.

Looking back, all I can do is facepalm myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.