Friday, May 27, 2011

This is not good

My sister and her husband came home today to find their house had been burglarized. The thieves stole their TV's, some jewelry, and some sundry monies that were there.

Some lessons learned today:

1. When seconds count, police are only minutes away. 
From the call (911) to the arrival, police took over 30 minutes to arrive. My father arrived (from across town) more quickly than did the police.


2. Really valuable stuff needs to be hidden in different spots. 
My paternal grandmother's wedding ring was among the jewelry taken. It was also, by far, the most expensive item - worth more than all the other things combined. Heirlooms and other special items of value should be put in a secret spot that is not immediately recognizable as a hiding spot.


3. Criminals fully understand the system.
These guys passed up three loaded guns. They know that selling a gun is more traceable, and that punishment for crimes involving guns are more harsh.

4. If seconds count, call my Pops.
Back in 1995, my truck caught on fire as I was driving. I first called 911 from a stranger's house (in front of which was my burning truck), and then called Pops - who was twice as far away as the fire station. Pops was there way before the fire and police men.
Later, my brother had a collision. He called the police first, then Pops. You guessed it, Pops arrived first. This scenario repeated itself a few years later, with the same result.
Now, today, my dad gets there before the police. Again, 911 was called first.
Remember, Pops can also hit center of mass on man-sized targets with a handgun at 100 yards.

5. Get homeowners / renters insurance. 
First thing my sister said was she was glad she'd taken my advice late last year by getting a renter's insurance policy that covered her wedding ring. Fortunately, all of the belongings (several thousand dollars' worth) were covered. The heirloom cannot be replaced, but otherwise, my sister will be made whole.


6. Seriously - get a gun and learn how to use it. 
Suppose my sister or her husband had been home when the burglars broke in? A couple of shots each from one of the loaded guns would have been enough to solve the problem. Both my sis and her hubby said they were glad to still have the arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.