Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Test

My AR15 is almost completely modified to my tastes.

It wears a 20" heavy barrel.
It has a Trijicon ACOG - model TA31F scope (John 8:12)
It wears a collapsible stock.
All that remains is a free-floated quad rail. That's next on the list.

As it stands, it is an exceptionally accurate shooter. I plan to sight in the newly acquired ACOG. While at the range, I want to try some match ammo out of it.

Here's where it gets interesting. The rifle has a 1:9 twist rate - considered by many to be too "slow" for heavy bullets (like the match grade ammo I have). But the problem with that line of thinking is based on 14.5 inch barrels - not 20" barrels. I can find evidence from people online that the longer barrel will shoot the heavy stuff just fine, despite the 1:9 twist.

So I will put that to the test when I hit the range. I will shoot all 20 rounds of the Privi-Partizan match ammo. It is 75 grain ammo. Some say that they would expect the rounds to fly off course, keyhole and strike the target sideways. I want to see if it will happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.