Monday, May 23, 2011

Mixed feelings

At my range trip this past weekend, I got my new ACOG sighted in.
I found out that some of the ammo I have is really accurate.
I also found out that in my rifle, the M193 clone ammo, M855 clone ammo, and the match grade 75-grain ammo all shoot to within an inch of each other at 100 yards. Not enough for me to want to make a sight adjustment.

Also observed at the range: a fellow shooter had a Marlin 60 and had mounted a scope on it. He was keeping all of his shots to within 8 inches at 25 yards from a rested position. He asked at one point if it looked to me if he was "dialed in" with the scope. Eight-inch groups at 25-yards from a rest is horrible shooting. Especially since I'm familiar with his gun and ammo setup.

So I offered to sight it in for him.

He said he wasn't sure - didn't know if I could shoot well or not.

I told him I could shoot a similar group at 100 yards, standing, with my AR15. On a rest, with my gun, and at 25-yards, there would simply be one ragged hole less than an inch across.

He asked me to prove it, so I did. I shot an 8-inch group standing at 100 yards. Of the 20 rounds, two hit the edge of the target low. All the others were peppered evenly throughout the target (on the left side as we had a stiff cross wind).

He let me fire his rifle.

Ten rounds later, I fired a string of ten into a single ragged hole (all in the middle) at 25 yards on his setup. He thanked me and continued shooting.

He shot no different than he had when he was not sighted in. All shots were within an 8-inch circle at 25 yards.

I showed him how to make those 8 inch groups into 2 inch groups. 

Perhaps he will get some training one day... I hope. I offered him more, and my phone number.


If you go to the range with me, within a couple of hours, you will be shooting much better than this. Regardless of your current skill level, or lack thereof.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.