Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Games 5-16-2011

Last night we played one of the other perennial powers in the league. As expected, we did not win either game. Unexpectedly, we kept it comparatively close and were not "run-ruled"  in either game.

We played with only nine men (typical is ten in the field). This created an unusual situation. The opposing team was hitting the ball hard to the outfield. With only three outfielders, we were giving up more bases than usual. So, in the second game, the coach had us use four outfielders and only three infielders.

The game plan was to have one man be the shortstop, or second-baseman, depending on whether the batter was right-handed or left-handed. It worked, because the score was much closer and we only "got burned" once by an opposite field ground ball.

I tagged two men out at home, and threw another out at first base. There were also three unsuccessful attempts to throw men out at home. I was responsible for one, not fielding a ball cleanly. Two other throws were well off the mark, and missed me by several yards. This was a lot of activity for a catcher.

My bat is decent this year - I am hitting over .500. However, I'm not driving the ball like I used to. Might have to work on that at the batting cages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.