Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A word to the wise

Last night, I played in my first softball double-header of the year. My team won both games by run-rule (also sometimes known as a mercy rule): 16-5 and 22-0. I had four hits in six at-bats with three runs scored and five RBI.

At one point in the second game, I noticed the opposing pitcher getting quite frustrated. He was arguing with his catcher because the poor man couldn't quite throw the ball back to him perfectly. He was arguing with the umpire a lot on ball-strike counts, how many outs there were, and various other ticky-tack items. His control had been lacking all game - at this point, he had walked a number of my teammates.

This character, sporting the number 22, was pitching to me. The count was 3 balls and a strike. He told the ump that the count was 2-2. The umpire, frustrated with arguing with the man, gave in and agreed. Didn't matter - we were up 16-0 at the time. Umps often give the benefit of the call at that point to whatever will make the game shorter.

On the next pitch, I made solid contact, and the ball happened to strike him on the right ankle (as he kicked at the ball to try to stop it) and careened into right field. I made it to first base easily. As I returned to the bag, and prepared for the next batter, I noticed the pitcher glaring at me. He was MAD.

I neither spurned him on, nor did I back down. Just looked right back at him blankly until he decided to pitch. Between pitches, he glared some more.

Then the next batter got a hit. I ran to second. The ball was in the outfield as I cruised in (no chance of getting to third base, nor was there a chance of them throwing me out). Mr. MAD pitcher decided to hustle toward second base to try to either bump me (with the obvious excuse of backing up the play, if there had been one), or crowd me, or otherwise intimidate me.

Next batter hit the first pitch into the outfield. I scored easily, standing up. Mr. MAD pitcher again ran at me, trying to bump me or crowd me at home plate.

Both times, I merely said "pardon me," as I had my left arm (the arm closest to him) raised to cover my head in a common defensive motion to protect from thrown balls. This posture also has the side effect of being a good defensive motion in an altercation - should Mr. MAD pitcher have decided to get stupid.


Word to the wise:
Avoid taking things personally in baseball / softball.
Also, avoid picking fights with folks that are six inches taller, fifty+ pound heavier... especially those with multiple black belts in the martial arts.

I am really glad that for all his posturing, he was either smart enough or frightened enough to keep his hands to himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.