Monday, April 4, 2011

Funny story from the archives

Here's another funny tale from the archives.

A parent had contacted me about classes for his two children. They were planning on moving to the area. I find out the first night that this family does home-schooling.

Again: Not all home-school families are twerps, but the fact is that the majority of my funny stories come from this demographic. "Facts is facts."

So the second night they attend, they arrive over 20 minutes late. No problem, except the parents did not come to pick them up until class had been over for 30 minutes! I begin and end classes on time - regardless of number of students, or what time they arrive. I politely addressed the situation, but the dad just didn't get it.

Their third night, dad is out of town, so mom drops off the kids 20 minutes early, and leaves them. This is at my house. They are lucky I happen to be home (got home earlier than usual from work due to light traffic) when they arrive. Then, mom is over 20 minutes late picking them up.

I politely explain to mom the times and that I give 5 minutes each way (I really give ten, but I knew they were trying to take advantage here), and that seemed to be OK with her. Oh, and surprise of all surprises, they "had no money" but were willing to "pay next week."

That weekend, I get an email from the dad. He is upset I spoke with the mom. Among other things, he makes the following statement:

"You most of all, have the flexibility in this since it is your house and your garage that classes are held. If for any reason you have to leave, have other plans or, one of us is not there on time to pick up the [kids], I ask that you have them sit outside the garage door while we arrive."


Wow. Just wow. What do you say to that? Willing to drop kids off at a stranger's house, then have them wait outside the door? My reply:
"First, not only is it both immoral and unethical to leave a CHILD "out on the doorstep" - but such behavior can be construed by an attorney as being illegal in many cases - on your part and mine! As a parent, I could never conceive of doing such a thing. As a human being, I could never imagine being dishonorable enough to ask this of another.

Second, to even suggest such, along with the earlier mention of "flexibility," clearly demonstrates a desire (if not outright expectation) to push reasonable limits on the times allocated. I'd hoped that two previous instances of disregard for arranged times were due to bad circumstance. Alas, the quoted statement removes all doubt as to true intentions." 

Some people wonder why I teach out of my home, and this is it. I can choose whom I train. More specifically, if I need or want to fire a student, it is no big deal. I do not teach for the money - simply the love of the art. This family was asked to leave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.