Monday, February 21, 2011

Success story at the range.

This past weekend, I was in Chattanooga. While there, I went to the range - irst alone, then later with my son, my sister, and her husband.

After some fun at the pistol range, we moved to the rifle range. My sis and bro-in-law opted for the 50-yard rifle range as opposed to the 100-yard range.

While there, my bro-in-law shot my AR 15 a bit. He was "OK" at keeping the shots on paper from that range. After a target analysis, I could tell he was a bit bummed about not hitting consistently. He asked for, and I provided, some shooting instruction.

Within a half-hour, he was shooting 2-3" groups at 50 yards. Another man, nearby, was also on the 50-yard range, shooting an AR 15, using a bipod and a $500 red-dot optic (EoTech). He had no discernible groups, and was all over the paper.

Bro-in-law saw those groups, and decided to keep this target. I am proud of him. I've seen people "get it" before, but never so quickly.

Oh, and he was shooting iron sights, from unsupported prone with a sling. The other guy had been shooting off a bipod, with optics. For non-shooters, this means the other guy *should* have had better groupings.

My son was also consistently popping balloons at 50 yards with his little .22. Not bad for age 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.