Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Basketball Game

Tonight, I went with Pops, his wife, Mrs. Usagi, my son, and my sis and her new husband to a UTC Mocs Basketball game. My alma mater (UTC) dominated the squad from Montreat in the opening round of the Dr. Pepper Classic - a Holiday basketball classic in the Chattanooga area for the past 21 years.

In years past, I've witnessed great play by the Mocs (winners of 13 of the 21 Dr. Pepper Classics held to date).

The format is simple - three opposing college basketball teams, and the Mocs. Opening round winners play the next day for the Dr. Pepper Classic Championship. Teams that lost in the first round get a second chance with the consolation game. The Mocs always play the later game the first day.

If memory serves, this is the first UTC game I've seen in person in over 12 years. When I attended, I rarely missed a game - seeing all home games my final three years. Tickets were (and still are) free for UTC students. Being an alumni earns me a discounted price.

I disappointed myself with a lack of Mocs apparel. This will be remedied soon.

The family fun of the evening was provided in the second half. The Mocs were nursing a 30-some-odd point lead. One of the players from Montreat was at the foul line shooting free throws. At the request of my little sister, I unleashed "The Scream" at the moment he attempted his second shot. The shot bounced off the rim (and only barely made contact). Laughter all around - except the seats directly in front of me.

A little history - in high school, Pops and I would sit at opposite ends of the basketball gym and would heckle players and refs, and scream at players attempting foul shots. Both of us are equipped with loud voices when needed - my father having used his for drill instructing at one point in his Army career. My scream morphed into a blood-curdling rendition of a man getting ripped apart by a grizzly bear. It is quite unnerving, as evidenced by the fact that only two foul shots attempted during a scream in High School were successful. A few more were landed in college, but that would be expected with a higher caliber of talent.

Unfortunately, these days I can only perform two or so Screams at a game. Vocal talents wane with lack of use, and mine are no different. The general consensus of spectators in our vicinity was that the effect was worth the attempt. I was 2 for 2 tonight in successful Screams.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you retold this story. It took me quite some time at the game to compose myself from laughing so hard. That was a very fun night!

    M. Johnson

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.