Monday, November 22, 2010

More thoughts on working retail

Tonight, I work the fourth time in as many days with retailer, Target. I am a cashier for them in the Mount Juliet area store. Some more thoughts on the job:

- The people are nice. Much nicer than in minimum wage jobs I've held in the past.

- I used to, as a shopper, go to the quickest line. Even if it was one of the longer lines. It has been encouraging to see people do that same thing to me.

- At first, I wondered how long it might be before I got to ring up some poor, scared, young lady who was buying an emergency supply of feminine products.
Answer: First night, hour two.
And this happens regularly.

- When the young lady above, mentioned to her mom that she didn't want to check out in my lane, because I am a man, and her mom replied that all of the cashiers were men, it was evidently very good to tell the young lady that I am a father of a daughter. She seemed to relax a bit.
Plus, I moved it quick, and I'm sure she was glad to get out of there, too.

- As much as the previous two things happen, I am perplexed why women don't just buy extra product, and rotate the boxes. Get an extra at the store every few weeks, along with other purchases, to stay ahead.

- Some people treat cashiers like dirt. Some are very courteous. I like the latter.

- Folks that also work in retail or food service generally treat you better.

- Kids think I'm funny. Maybe because I'm silly with them?

- Parents of kids that think I'm funny treat me best of all.

- Late night customers purchase strange combinations of merchandise.

- Sunday morning shoppers buy lots of cleaning materials.

- Retail managers like low-hassle employees.

1 comment:

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.