Sunday, November 14, 2010

Looking forward to Sunday School

For the past four weeks, we have been splitting Sunday school time half and half between the regularly scheduled lesson, and a cliff's notes version of the sermon by the pastor.

This was requested, by the pastor, for the four weeks of all Sunday school classes. Part of the reason, I think, is because the church has proposed a giving campaign to fund the down payment for construction on a new "children's wing." The claim is that space is severely limited.

While that claim might be true to an extent, I do not personally condone the project at this time. Simply put, we are in the middle of the greatest economic crisis since the Great Depression. Starting a giving campaign in a church where revenues are just now back to pre-2008 levels is asking a bit much, I think.

And going into debt to build a building at this time does not make a lick of sense. I suggest the church wait until things turn around a bit. And then, I would suggest they do not take out a loan to do the construction.

As a small demonstration of protest, I have decided to wear jeans to church, and have been doing this for several weeks for just this reason. It is my way of showing outwardly that many families, my own included, are being forced to cut back. It is only responsible that the church do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.