Friday, November 19, 2010

Interesting notes from my first night on the job.

Last night was my first at Target. It was an orientation night. Some observations:

- Kids in college range from fairly responsible to dimwitted to the point of making me fear for the future. Last night's class of 6 people had two college kids - one of each of the above descriptions.

- I was not the only professional level adult in the group. There were two others: one who will be working for the benefits, and one who needs the extra money like me.

- My brother has long held the opinion that HR people are often less intelligent and less productive than the general population. The poor girl there was not helping improve this image any.

- People working for Target seem to be more upbeat and personable than folks at Wal Mart.

- Target forbids employees from having guns on their property. What they don't know won't hurt them.

- Why the anti-gun statement when your very name is "Target"??? Anybody else see the irony here???

- I missed seeing my kids last night.

- I was impressed that Target actually uses behavioral interview questions in the hiring process. I am amazed that some of my peers last night actually made it through them.

- Safety and anti-harassment videos can be pretty funny... unintentionally.

- Target is anti-union. Really, there was a 30-minute video harping against it. I liked it. Not everybody in my class did.

- I think I will enjoy working here. Make no mistake, the minute I can get a regular job to replace my primary employer, I will be leaving Target, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.