Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Yet another wacky hiring practice

In an interview this spring, I recall the following conversation:

Recruiter - "So, do you have any sales experience?"

Usagi - "Just a bit." (I was being just a little sarcastic, as I thought she was being. Turned out, I was wrong).

R - "If you have any sales experience, you really should list it on your resume so people can see it."

U - "You are funny." [Usagi laughs]

R - "I don't know why you are laughing - this is serious. I cannot find any sales on your resume."
[Recruiter has very serious look on face]

U - "Seriously?"
[Usagi has very curious look on face]
"Are you reading my resume?"

R - slides resume over. Sure enough, it is mine.

U - "What exactly do you think I meant with the word 'quota'?"
[Usagi's resume lists jobs held, and lists annual performance compared to quota. Sometimes with dollar volumes, sometimes with percentages.]

R - "Like how many products you assembled in an hour."

U - "Reading comprehension is your friend. You should invite him over from time to time. I have never been in anything but sales. I've never been below quota for the year. I've always been in the top 25%, and usually in the top 5%. But, methinks you aren't going to put me in front of your client, because you didn't read the resume and you are certain I've never sold anything in my life."

R - "Just saying you should put something about sales on your resume."

U - [Points out under the companies worked for my heading - "Responsibilities: Outside business-to-business sales to new and existing clients] <- This heading is under every employer for the last 10 years.



Some people?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.