Monday, September 6, 2010

This hasn't happened in a while.

I went shooting twice Saturday. Once on my own, and once with my sister, father-in-law, and brother-in law.

They all shoot pistols more than rifles, and I was there to simply offer pointers, help reload, and generally answer questions and clear malfunctions.

Sister - we will call her "C"
My sister shot my pistol mostly - a Ruger Mark III. She shoots well, and doesn't know it yet. She was plastering the targets better than anyone else on the pistol range at that time.

She also shot her own 5-shot .38 revolver. Again, she did remarkably well, staying inside a 10" plate at 15 yards with the snub-nosed revolver.

Her only issues were with malfunctions on the Ruger pistol. To her credit, this was the first time she had shot that platform, and she was being extra cautious so as not to accidentally break anything. She never gets in a hurry when it comes to handling guns. Sometimes, I think she thinks I slam the guns too hard when I clear jams. At least we BOTH keep the muzzle downrange when we have an issue.

Father-in-law - we will call him "G"
My father-in-law shot well. He had a little shooting instruction in the Boy Scouts over 45 years ago, but recently has become hooked on the sport. He really likes the challenge of marksmanship and the fact that he can shoot at his own pace. Having been put on permanent disability in recent years, he is physically unable to stand or hold a pistol for extended periods of time.

With "G" I like to give him one or two suggestions each time. He absorbs them well, puts them in play, and shoots better for it.

He also was shooting a new Beretta NEOS. That is a neat pistol! He bought a red-dot sight for it, and asked me to put it on and sight it in. The thing is likely more accurate than my Mark III. At 15 yards, I could literally hit anything I wanted to hit. This is good, because when "G" shot, we were able to see a pattern in his shooting that helped me see what to diagnose.

Sure enough, we had a case of "dragging wood." A simple remedy got him on target and he had good groups to show.

Brother-in-law - we will call him "J"
J shot well. Plain and simple. He is almost to the point of being able to not need anybody else at the range with him. This was his 5th or 6th time shooting. He only had one issue that he could not resolve - a 10/22 jam. He was actually on the right path to solving it when he called for help. I showed him the steps, and he repeated the action a moment later when the same malfunction occurred.

A few months back, I gave J the money for a 10/22 - the rifle he had picked out, but didn't have the funds for at the time. I gave J a scope and mount and put it on the rifle for him. I had also sighted in the scope.

At the end of the day, J shot an AQT. He scored a 164. Not bad for his second AQT ever, and considering, I have not taught him sitting or prone. His sitting needs work. His prone is actually respectable. We will work on this next time. I see him shooting Rifleman scores in 2-3 more range trips. Oh, yeah - that's without a sling. His rifle does not have the swivel studs, yet.


Weird happening...
I shot my AR15 a little. It had been a year since I had shot it at the range. Thing could not get on paper. I had not messed with the red-dot, or the iron sights. I spent over 100 rounds, and was nowhere near getting it on paper at 25 yards.

Usually, a rifle takes me about 10-15 shots to get zeroed. This was a bit frustrating. Given the shooting results I got on the AQT's earlier that morning, we can take shooter's error out of the equation. Next weekend, I plan to take it to  range near me and get the problem settled.

I have a regiment I can follow and get the sights lined up in one box of ammo. The range near my house also has bench rests - which help me take out the errors I do bring to the table.

I'll be using match grade ammo, and then confirming with the stuff I was shooting today. I hope the sight just got a little out of whack. I like the sight and plan to keep it while I'm saving up for the 20" barrel.

When I get it sighted in, I'll confirm at 50, 100, and (if possible) 200 yards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.