Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Obamacare hits home

My employer notified employees recently that they would be conducting "random" verifications of dependents.

Twelve years in the full time professional job market and this is the first time I've ever seen anything like it. My co-workers said they've never done this before.

Why would a company verify dependents?
The only reason is so that they can trim dependents that do not belong.

Why trim dependents?
I suggest it might be (rational) fear of fraud - particularly since we will soon be mandated by the Obamacare program to buy health insurance. We all know health insurance is usually much cheaper through a large corporate plan. There are also no hoops to jump through in order to get approved.


So today, I had to prove my wife is indeed my wife, my son is indeed my son, and my daughter is indeed my daughter.


---
Small Rant:
I am legally married - to a woman. I am a man. It is a traditional marriage.
Had I been gay, and in a same-sex "domestic partnership" it would have been much easier to prove!
This is an outrage!
I had to provide a marriage certificate, and a 1040 tax form.
A same-sex couple would have only had to provide proof of a joint checking account, or joint utility bill.

Why couldn't I just show proof of a joint bank account or utility bill???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.