Wednesday, September 22, 2010

In Search of History, Part - the Last

This morning, my M1 was delivered to my house. My lovely wife signed for it. I hope she doesn't shoot it before I do, as I really don't have the extra money to buy another one if she takes it.

Blog update this evening, after I inspect the John Garand goodness.

---

Update:
It is a Rifleman's Rifle, and now wears a USGI web sling. I did not put a new sling on the rifle, but a used one. A rifle such as this (used) is not a safe-queen. This rifle was made to be shot, and I will shoot it.

The receiver is a Springfield Armory. Some of the parts are from different manufacturers. To a collector, this would be a bad thing. But to a collector, shooting the rifle would be a bad thing. This rifle was meant to be shot, and I will shoot it. 

Muzzle erosion (1+) and throat erosion (2+) both gauged well below guaranteed maximum specs (less than 3 and less than 5, respectively) from the CMP - which is good. From those numbers, there's no reason this rifle shouldn't be able to shoot 1 - 1.5 MOA (keeping all shots at 100 yards inside a 1.5 inch circle).

The rifle came lightly coated in cosmoline. Some Hoppe's solvent and a little oil for the wood, and everything is ready to go. My son and daughter were fascinated with it. Both children laughed when I would eject an empty clip and they got to see and hear the "PING" of the ejected clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.