Thursday, August 19, 2010

On the Gubernatorial Race... yet again

I have weighed the options. I know the consequences.

On one side, there are people that point out that we need a Republican in office, if only for the appointees (judges, etc.). Good logic.

On the other side is the fact that the TN House and State Senate are likely going to be majority republican after the election... and they really have the legislative authority. Good point, too.

I suggest that Republican candidate Bill Haslam is not more conservative than the Democratic candidate, McWherter. It is not very likely that Haslam's appointments would be any more conservative than McWherter's appointments would be.

Appointments aside, they both talk the same talk - low taxes, no state income tax, pro-gun, etc.

Here's the facts - Haslam raised taxes in Knoxville. I don't trust him to avoid a state income tax. Either way, if a majority of the house and senate want a state income tax, it won't matter... because a veto in either direction can be overridden with a simple majority.
Haslam was also a member of Bloomberg's "Mayors against illegal guns." Which was a notoriously anti-gun association.

McWherter is no better - having said before that he would support an income tax, and also being as anti-gun as Haslam.

What to do?

I am voting Brandon Dodds. This in no way diminishes my opinions of the other independents I got the chance to speak with, I just think Mr. Dodds shines a little brighter.

I suggest my readers vote for Brandon Dodds for Governor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.