Monday, August 2, 2010

A Flip Flop that makes me go hmmm...

Alan Greenspan has flip flopped an opinion.

In 2001, he was in favor of the Bush tax cuts. Now, he says they need to be eliminated.

As I do not believe in coincidence, I am forced to ponder why he would reverse his stance.
We all know that tax cuts are linked with economic growth and tax increases are linked to recession. Greenspan is not a fool - so he has to know these facts, too.

I would suggest there are several possibilities for why Greenspan would change his public opinion:
- Follow the money 1. Perhaps he can make more money in a recession.
- Follow the money 2. Perhaps he has been paid to make such a statement.
- Perhaps he is of an advanced enough age that his mind is slipping.

I refuse to think he has simply changed his opinion. Especially given his history of financial success. I am leaning toward the thought of wondering what he stands to gain from the tax increase that will happen when the tax cuts expire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.