Friday, August 6, 2010

Election result

Yesterday was the election. Of the four major races I followed, candidates that received my vote have won twice and lost twice.

1. Governor's Race
My vote for Ron Ramsey did not help enough. Bill Haslam won the race with his big bucks.
I am researching third-party candidates for the fall and will report back to my readers when a thorough search has been completed.

2. US Congress Race
I voted in the Republican Primary for the 5th District. I voted for the eventual winner, David Hall. Hall was one of 11 Republicans running. The top three - Hall, Hartline and Heil - all had very respectable showings.
This seat is currently held by Jim Cooper. Due to the heavily democratic-leaning population of Nashville proper, this is probably the second-safest democratic held seat in the state (behind only the 9th district in Memphis - held by Steve Cohen). Here's hoping Hall can pull another upset!
I urge readers in Tennessee's 5th Congressional District to vote for David Hall for Congress.

3. State Senate Race
This was a bitterly contested race between Susan Lynn and Mae Beavers. Beavers wins it going away, by about 6 percentage points. I voted for Senator Beavers who was clearly the more conservative of the two. She also ran a much cleaner race. This despite the fact that Representative Lynn is a member of my church.
I urge readers in the 17th TN State Senate Distrct to re-elect Mae Beavers.

4. State Representative Race.
This was the seat Susan Lynn vacated to run for State Senate. I voted for Robert Fields - who was endorsed by the Tennessee Gun Owners, as well as other notable organizations. Unfortunately, Mount Juliet Mayor Linda Elam won by a slim margin. Elam helped put red light cameras in Mount Juliet, and I will not be endorsing her for the general election.
Instead, I urge my readers in the Mount Juliet area to vote for Heather Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.