Thursday, July 8, 2010

Shooting Update

Since I have made trips to Chattanooga the past two weekends, of course I got some range time at Prentice Cooper. Using the Appleseed AQT, I track progress with a consistent measuring stick.

Most recently, I posted a personal all-time high score on the AQT - 245. This was done with my Ruger 10/22 and tech sights. I was using a loop sling in all four stages for those who care. My previous high had been 243, shot with a Marlin 60 and a scope (and sling). Both those scores came with higher quality ammo - CCI mini-mags.

This past weekend, I shot a 238 with the Ruger. While not a personal high score, I must point out that at the beginning of the third stage, the extractor, spring, and plunger came out of the bolt. This had the effect of causing "stovepipe" jams on many of the following shots. I counted 14 jams on 27 shots. Still, I completed the AQT within time limits and with a nice score... despite having to almost constantly clear the malfunctions.

I have since ordered replacement parts for the 10/22, as I had just tuned the rifle to the point where I liked the results it could produce. It is a heavier rifle with a lighter trigger pull than either Marlin in our house - two features I shoot better with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.