Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mourning a loss

I learned today that recently, one of my original martial arts instructors passed away.

Link to the sad news.

Sensei Henderson was an assistant instructor at the Karate classes I took at the Chattanooga Jewish Community Center back in the mid 1980's. I remember that he was an avid fan of lifting weights... in a time when most martial artists eschewed such practices.

Around about 1987, he opened his own karate school, which I trained at part time (I could never get enough martial arts training!). Though I had lost contact with him some time ago, he was part of the organization I belong to.

Steve had been battling cancer the past few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.