Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer

On the job last week, I find out I am losing my third largest client because we cannot do something for them - due to company policy.

Typically, this is not always a problem, as the company can give "relief" to the sales person when a client leaves for a reason out of the control of the sales person.

I found out yesterday that my current boss will not authorize relief. This decision will prevent me from making a normal sized commission check until Feb., 2011.

I took this job due to the possibility of earning 10-25% more than I did at the last job. This turn of events will make it impossible to even match what I made at the last job. Frankly, there are many sales positions available now that pay better than this one might (if my commissions are cut), with a lot less stress.

I get a new boss Monday (due to a set of totally unrelated circumstances). I will ask him as well.

Whether I am with the current employer in 2011 is directly correlated with the new boss's answer. I hope he does not choose poorly.

---

Post edit: 8/17/2010
He chose poorly.

I have enjoyed working at this company, but now will be forced to shift my career search into high gear.

Since I was hired, nobody in my department has sold more new business than I have. The next best performer is 25% behind. My territory is closing in on becoming the largest (within $20K in revenue per month of the top territory). Why would a company or manager want to throw that away?

2 comments:

  1. The client just left this week.
    I will be asking my new boss for relief this week.

    Whatever his answer is, will also be the same as whether I will remain at the company. I suggest he should choose wisely.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.