Monday, July 26, 2010

In search of history, part 1

Yesterday, I got the OK from Mrs. Usagi to pursue the purchase of an item I have been in desire of for some time.

The M1 Garand is in my sights. It is a rifle of historical significance. It is also one of the standards in the firearm world - being the first standard issue semi-automatic rifle in military service in the world.

I will be purchasing one from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). When you follow their directions, they will send the rifle right to your door!

I have in my possession almost all of the things required:
1. Proof of US Citizenship - check. (birth certificate)
2. Proof of age - check (if the birth certificate doesn't do it, my Drivers License will).
3. Membership in a CMP affiliated organization - in the works.
4. Proof of a marksmanship related activity - check (my HCP will suffice).
5. Be legally eligible to purchase a firearm - check.
6. Order form and purchaser agreement - almost check (need a notary).


As soon as I send off for the rifle, I will be ordering a Schuster gas plug. This will allow me to shoot commercially manufactured ammo. The M1 is tuned to shoot specific loads (M2 Ball), designed in the early 1900's. Modern advances in propellants and different bullet weights make shooting commercial ammo in an M1 hazardous to the shooter and the rifle.

I know that ideally, I should shoot only military surplus ammo in the rifle. Mil-surp is cheaper, and generally as accurate as I will need. However, there is only a finite supply of mil-surp left on the planet. Once it's gone, I'll need the gas plug.

---

Update - 7/27/2010
Today, I mailed off the application to join a CMP affiliated organization - The M1 Collector's Club.
Also, I got the notarized signature on my application.

Once I get the membership card from the M1 Collector's club (estimated 1-2 weeks), I can send off the purchase form and then the wait will begin.

As of now, the CMP website suggests the wait for the model I will be ordering is approximately 60 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.