Thursday, July 8, 2010

An honor and a privilege

Recently, my sister's fiance and his mother asked me to take them to the range to shoot. The fiance had been shooting before, his mother had not. My sister wanted me to show her soon-to-be mother in law some of the basics of shooting.

It was my honor and privilege to do so.

The fiance and his mom had inherited a very nice Smith & Wesson .45 pistol. I was honored to watch as he put the first rounds ever from that pistol down range. A while later, it was a pleasure to do the same myself.

That day, my son also accompanied us to the range. His safe handling of his Crickett .22 was impeccable, and his accuracy is improving. Although I primarily watched over him, from time to time as I instructed or demonstrated, my sister or my inlaws (yes, they went, too!) would watch after him. Or should I say, he watched after them... reminding people to point their guns in a safe direction and keep fingers off triggers until ready to fire.

Funny moment - when my son was asked to shoot the groin area of a target, he complied with a mischievious look. Of course, the shot went right to the groin area of the target. Dead center. Ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.