Tuesday, June 8, 2010

While I'm blogging about family...

Might as well brag on my little brother. He works in IT, and is very adept at his job. The simple fact is that he is the go-to guy on his current team, and does the job of several people.

Recently, he decided to apply for an internal position with his employer. He was good friends with the hiring manager for the spot. A few discussions with said hiring manager told my brother all he needed to know - can stay in Nashville (the hiring manager and many of the team members were located in Michigan), significant pay raise, etc. It seemed like a good fit.

Well, my brother's immediate supervisor was a bit short-sighted and complained to his boss, who holds the position of "Director." In an effort to grease the squeaky wheel, the director made several behind-the-scenes moves to block my brother:
- Stating the job would be a lateral move and that the pay would be the same.
- Stated my brother would have to move to MI to get the spot.
- Stating my brother would have to pay for his own plane ticket to interview in MI.
- several other actions, but they would take a long time to detail.
- Finally, hiring a former contract worker, when the Hiring manager had said all along my brother was the top candidate.

My brother saw the writing on the wall, and ramped up a career search. In no time, he got an offer with a major employer in our area. Last Friday he turned in his notice.

Funny happenings since:
- My brother was made a counter-offer within hours of giving his notice.
- The Director and Supervisor keep suggesting that my brother can do part of the duties of the position he was applying for.
- The Director and Supervisor keep stating "You know we weren't trying to block you!"
- Many other actions that, like these, show they are guilty of exactly what they claim they did not do.

Oh, my brother never accused them of anything... just said he got a great financial offer and duties and hours that were in his advantage.

Talk about a bunch of folks acting guilty!

Oh, and I am really proud of my little bro for taking the high road!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.