Monday, June 28, 2010

Range Report

This past weekend, I was in Chattanooga. While there, I had the opportunity to visit one of my favorite ranges, Prentice Cooper.

I had several objectives:
1) Mrs Usagi wanted a scope on what used to be my Marlin 60. I put the scope on recently and sighted it in this past weekend. With the scoped 60, I shot a 222 on an AQT.

2) Since I took the tech-sights off the Marlin 60 to put the scope on it, I decided to put the tech-sights on my Marlin 795. I sighted it in. With the tech-sights on the 795, I shot a 221 on the AQT.

3) I decided to try some different ammo in my Ruger 10/22 to try to fix the malfunction problems. I used CCI mini-mags. Flawless performance. Extremely accurate. Slightly different point of impact (POI) than the previous ammo had been, so I made sight adjustments. Shot a 245 on an AQT - my all-time high so far!


Observations:

- I really enjoyed getting the flawless performance out of the Ruger. I'd had nothing but problems with it to this point. Good to know that was predominantly ammo-related. Slinging up with that rifle is very nice. It's heavier than the Marlins (good for me, since I am a large man), and actually has a lighter trigger. I'm not giving up on the Marlins, but it does feel like I just got a new gun!

- This was the first time I'd used a shooting jacket. It was very helpful, though very hot on a 90+ degree day!

- Folks at the range will start asking you for help when they realize you are the most accurate shooter on the line. It is best only to offer one or two pointers, so as not to confuse them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.