Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Challenge

This is a challenge to the shooters out there.

Seems this blog gets some Appleseed traffic. That said, I have a challenge for the shooters out there.

My challenge is a "No Excuses" Rifleman's challenge.

The idea is simple: Shoot the Appleseed AQT with no excuses, no crutches, no gimme's and no questions asked. I'll post your story on my blog here - exactly as you want it worded.

Here's how it works:
- iron sights (no scope)
- bulk ammo (no match grade stuff)
- no sling
- no modified rifles
- no .30-caliber rule

Shoot a Rifleman score (210 or better) under typical  QDAQT or RFAQT rules. Have a witness (more than one is better). Send me the story. It's that easy.

I know I am not the best shooter around - there's gotta be somebody who can match or beat the 219 I threw up there on Saturday, May 22. I want to write about it.

usagi.dojo@tds.net


 
Post Edit - 3/15/2011 - digging out some old comments and posting them. 

7 comments:

  1. Wow - no sling seems hard. I don;'t thing I could do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sling is just another crutch - no different than a support, match ammo, light trigger, or the like.

    Take the challenge - see how well you can really shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog generates a lot of views from the Appleseed Project - why haven't some of you sent your stories in? I'm sure I'm not the only shooter that can shoot straight without a sling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first Appleseed, I can't claim to have been using an unmodified rifle... my 10/22 had a plastic ATI stock, tech-sights, and a strap from Walmart that the instructors showed me how to use as a "hasty" sling. But I did shoot rifleman.

    I've since been able to do it with a AR15-A2 with Iron Sights and no sling, and an old SMLE no4 with Iron Sights and a sling.

    I am surprised that you saw so many people with high power scopes, in my experience as an instructor, people with high power scopes tend to "fuss" their shots, and they usually lag behind iron-sight and low-power scope shooters as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good shooting, Lupis!

    I will post your scores, if you send them. I'll also write a separate entry for you, as I promised in this entry.

    A couple of weekends ago, I shot the AQT with an AR15 (M4 profile). Without the sling, I was shooting 228-232. With a just taut sling, scores were 230-238. This was the first time I'd shot an AQT with the AR15 since last September.

    Funny you mention the scopes. I wouldn't say most "Rifleman" scores I've seen were with high power scopes - just with scopes in general. I usually was not able to note the power setting.

    My opinion is that for the AQT, a scope setting of 3x to 5x would be ideal. If I were to shoot another AQT with a scope, it would be 3x-9x or similar, and I'd likely keep it set to 3x or 4x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can’t possibly score that well on the AQT without a sling unless you are muscling the shots. I doubt you even scored that high. Or if you did you used the sling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have, and can duplicate, scores in the 230's without a sling on several .22 platforms, as well as the AR15 platform and the M1.

    My offer to you is this: if you do not believe me, let's go shooting and I can show you.

    Here's why I think you will never take me up on the offer: you are afraid of having your sacred cow butchered.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.