Thursday, May 20, 2010

Family humor

Let's face it. Some of the best humor comes from your family. For myself and my siblings growing up, my mom, "Moms," was a consistent source of humor. I was recently reminded of this by my mom herself.

One must understand, my mother is not the most observant person in the world when it comes to food. Some funnies from when we were growing up:

- Pops had made grilled chicken with sauteed onion, mushroom, bell pepper, and melted cheese on top. Moms says after eating one of them:
"[Pops], this really good pizza!"
(yes, she actually thought it was pizza!)

- We take Moms to a hibachi Japanese place. She sees the chef cooking shrimp (note - Moms has always claimed to dislike seafood of pretty much any kind). Moms gets quite disturbed that the chef might cook other food on the same grill that touched the shrimp, and says so out loud.

Later, Moms picks shrimp off my plate, complimenting the chef on how tasty his "chicken" was!

- Nearly twenty years after the hibachi incident, we decide to take Moms to a local "Asian cuisine" place (has some Japanese, Chinese, and Korean food). We get sushi, and she likes the vegetable rolls, cucumber rolls, and avocado rolls.

Several times, she asks about the green blob on the plate - she thinks it is guacamole. I advise her it is Wasabi... and I tell her what wasabi is capable of. Several minutes later, she asks my brother if it is really guacamole. He tells her it is wasabi, and to only eat a small amount with the sushi, as it can burn!

A few moments later, she asks the waiter if the guacamole is good - pointing at the wasabi. He patiently explains wasabi much the same as my brother and I had only moments ago.

At this point, Moms figures she didn't live to be in her sixties by not knowing what tasty guacamole looks like, so SHE EATS THE WHOLE DOLLOP OF WASABI - in ONE BITE!!!

Several gallons of water later, she remarks that she should listen to her sons more often. We agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.