Thursday, February 4, 2010

Martial Arts Stories, Part VIII

Story 8 I had a "potential" student come by a few years back, to take a free trial class in Jiu-jitsu. He arrived early and elaborated on how he was an accomplished amateur wrestler, as well as a green belt in Judo. He puts on his gi and the first thing I realize is that he dyed his belt green. And it was obvious. But that's not even the best part. All through class, he takes every opportunity possible to let me know he does not think he's a white belt in Jiu-jitsu. I guess he wanted me to start him at a higher level. Toward the end, when we spar, I have him sit out (as I do all new students) to observe the sparring. Now mind you, he and his son were knowledgeable of several throws and some basic groundwork - but they were still white belt material. He got a little frustrated that he could not spar. So he decided to challenge me on the spot. In my younger days, it would have been a no-brainer. Now, at this point, I have a house and a kid, so there is a great potential for loss. here - not that I would lose, but that he might sue or something like that. So I offered the age-old remedy: if he could take on and beat my top student, I would spar him... As it was, my top student there that night is a 15 year-old girl - yellow belt. She put him in a triangle-choke and he tapped. He requested a rematch. He tapped again. This happened a few more times. I then spar with my student and the predictable happens. I beat her gently about 5 times in a row over the next 2 minutes. Nothing too spectacular. I declined the man's "challenge" saying maybe next time - 'when he wasn't so tired!' For some strange reason he never came back. I wonder why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.