Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Funny story... and a call-out

Several days ago, I applied to a job described as: "Outside Sales Representative – Nashville, TN."

Last Friday, I got a pre-screening call, which turned into an invite to interview in-person at the company. My understanding was that this was still for the outside sales (my specialty) position.

At this point, I must note that the company also has another opening (several positions, in fact):
"Account Executive – Nashville, TN Headquarters." This latter position is inside sales (cold-calling in a telemarketing environment). I do not have anything against that line of work, but I am not qualified nor experienced in it. I certainly would not apply to such a position, either, as I much prefer outside sales.

Link to positions as advertised by the company - CompNation.
(Folks from CompNation - I have already taken a screen print of the advertised positions and I have a copy of my email as proof!)

The interview this afternoon turned out to be for the telemarketing position. It is commission-based (another no-no in my book - especially for cold-calling and/or telemarketing). So when the interviewer pulled this BAIT AND SWITCH - I asked him straight-up about the outside sales position. He said it was not going to be open until 3rd quarter, this year.

So - What is Usagi going to do about it?
Post here. That's what. Leave the facts out there.

Funny thing - They called me before I even got home and asked for a second interview. Now I obliged, because I have a plan (I always do!).

My PLAN:
1. I will not attend the interview this Thursday at 4:00 pm. I want to see if they will call me and reschedule even with me standing them up unannounced.

I think they will still call me and try to get me to come in. If they do...

2. Ask the interviewer about the outside sales position only. I will make no mention of knowing anything about the telemarketing position.

3. Decline any job offers or steering toward the telemarketing position.

4. Post all the happenings here - for your enjoyment.

Popcorn, anyone?

1 comment:

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.