Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Funny Martial Arts Stories - IV

Story 4:

One time, I had to physically restrain a student's mother.

In the early 1990’s, I was teaching a home-school karate class. I was talking to several of the parents and adults as one of the top students (now my Brother-in-Law) led the class in warm ups. One portion of the warm up is to do 10 push-ups on the knuckles. Well, one of the students stepped out of line so BIL keeps on to 15 push ups. No big deal, I think - it will be good for them.

In all fairness, it was nothing at all out of the ordinary.

Well, one boy gets up on push-up number 12 holding his knuckles and jump/running toward his mom. I found out later he was in pain... the kind that ends in a minute or two and everything's all right.

So mom runs toward him, looks at his knuckles that he is displaying prominently (didn't even look red from my point of view), and begins to waddle toward the class. Her husband (to whom I was speaking at the time) asked her where she was going.

"To get [Usagi’s BIL]." was the curt reply.

The two of us (me, and the husband) immediately rushed to get between her and the class.

Fortunately, she did not make much noise, so most of the class was oblivious to the fact that there was a ruckus.

PS- I now require students to warm up on their own, prior to class!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.