Thursday, December 17, 2009

Small Rant

For my first installment of "Wacky Hiring Practices" I would like to detail something that really burns my bootie. Salary fit.

Part of finding a good job (or a good candidate from the company's point of view) is proper fit. The company is great for the employee and the employee is great for the company. A big part of that is salary. Hence, "Salary fit."

-----

Once, I was hiring an "Outside Sales" person. Someone who would be selling "business-to-business," as they say. I found a great candidate, who was currently employed and I found out she was making 25% more than the top of the salary range I had to work with. Still, my boss wanted to interview her. He knew she would do well, also. However, he still wanted to offer her the top of the salary range - $35,000 base plus commissions. She was currently earning $50,000 base plus commissions.

My boss never really understood why she did not take the offer.

-----

Recently, I interviewed with a company that had a position that seemed very interesting. They did not bring up salary. I did - after the phone interview, first interview, and second interview. They were offering a third of what I am looking for. 1/3! Had they stated a range (like most companies do), I would not have applied and wasted their time and mine.

-----

In short, I have found that companies that are reluctant to talk salary have a reason for being that way - they know the do not pay enough for what they want.

Good companies looking for a proper fit tell you the salary range up front and ask if that is something you can live with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.