Thursday, December 17, 2009

Silly job interviews

A month ago or so, my employer decided to do away with my position. This affected 10 people altogether. Since then, my former counterparts and I have been searching for work.

It has been a while since I had been on a job interview, and so I had forgotten some of the things that some people do. Some of these things are clearly geared toward selecting the right candidate for the position. Other behaviors I've seen can only be described as... odd.

I was a "Territory Sales Manager" for an insurance company. Sales is my thing. I am not pushy, overly intense, or anything like that used car salesman that sold you your vehicle. Former supervisors have consistently given me performance-reviews with descriptions such as "reliable," "professional," and "polished."

In 11 years in the work force, I have been promoted, or offered a promotion 10 times. I have hired dozens, fired a few, laid folks off, been laid off, and dealt with HR issues of every kind (yes, even including lawsuits my employer was involved in).

When I interviewed folks, my style was simple - get to know the person; find out what motivates them. I know that personality is the single most important trait - even more so than experience or qualifications.

In the middle of these interviews, I have seen so many people that just have no clue how to advertise a job or conduct an interview. I have been requested to add a new column, detailing some of these silly, and often hilarious situations. Of course, all of these stories will be true, and accurate. I will only name companies that need naming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.