Friday, December 4, 2009

Rednecks and guns

Just because one is a redneck does not necessarily mean that one is an expert on guns. But, think of an expert on guns. That person is likely exhibiting several factors that point toward being a redneck. This is not a bad thing.

I myself enjoy the moniker of being a redneck. I'd like to think I'm in good company. Here are a couple of rednecks whose ability with a gun landed them some recognition.

Alvin York
From Tennessee. York at one point killed 28 Germans and captured 132 more - all by himself. Armed only with an '03 Springfield (bolt-action) rifle and a 1911 pistol. York recalled of his action: "There were over thirty of them in continuous action, and all I could do was touch the Germans off just as fast as I could. I was sharp shooting… All the time I kept yelling at them to come down. I didn't want to kill any more than I had to. But it was they or I. And I was giving them the best I had."
Source - Wikepedia

Audie Murphy
From Texas. The fictional John Rambo has nothing on this guy. The single most decorated soldier from WWII. On multiple occasions, took on dozens of the enemy all by himself. Once, a friend of his was killed by a German machine gunner who was feigning surrender - Murphy killed the entire machine gun nest and then turned the machine gun on several other nearby German positions. His continued heroics earned him field promotion to the rank of lieutenant by the time he was 19 years old (very rare for any enlisted man). Oh, yeah, he lied about his age to join the Army at 16 years old.

A couple more for you to Google -
Jim Bowie
Davy Crockett

1 comment:

  1. I am the sponsor of a Petition drive to bestow upon Audie Murphy the Nation’s highest civilian honor, the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom, in recognition of his lifetime contributions and achievements to the Nation; as a soldier, songwriter, author, poet, humanitarian, and one who fought for veterans and veterans rights, particularly on the matter of PTSD.
    Audie Murphy always marched with our flag held high and is one of America’s great Patriots.
    To view and sign the Petition to President Obama, go to this link:

    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/Audie-Murphy-Presidential-Medal-of-Freedom-Award

    Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.