Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Funny Story - Fascinating People

A while back, I was teaching an individual self defense class. I do this from time to time. This "class" was a nice lady almost my mom's age, her daughter who was about my age, and her husband.

The lady, whom I will refer to as "student" in this post, had come across one of my old business cards that read "free trial class." Although I no longer taught regular classes, she was insistent upon receiving her free trial class... so a free trial class she got!

Husband sat in the corner of the living room (yes, we were in a private residence that was the domicile of a third party mutual acquaintance - long story). Student and daughter were very "into" the class. They caught on quite well.

At this point, I must inform the reader that I was carrying my GLOCK, as I always do. It was early spring, and still cold out - so I was wearing a large pullover that doubled as my concealment for my GLOCK. Our mutual acquaintance had full knowledge of my carry piece, and has several firearms of his own.

All throughout the class, neither the student, the daughter, nor the husband caught on to me carrying a firearm.

At the end (about one hour) we sat down and conversed. People often have questions and comments for me after a self defense class. The student asked me if she could now defend herself.

"No." I replied honestly.

She did not know what to make of it, so I explained that one class an hour in length is not long enough to get proficient with anything worthwhile. The only such class that could possibly come close would be a class in defensive firearms.

Then came the question: what would I do if someone pulled a gun on me? I replied I would likely pull my own gun if I did not die in the first few seconds from the attacker shooting at me.

She answered: "what if you are not carrying your gun... like right now?"

Folks... I really could not resist at this point!

I answered: "I am carrying my gun right now, and I would draw it!" I turned, lifted the pullover, and revealed my full-sized GLOCK on my hip at a 4:00 position inside my waistband (only the handle showed above my pants-line.

Eyes grew to the size of saucers. I laughed internally. The statement was made: "but isn't that dangerous!?"

Husband piped up: "Honey, don't worry. It's not legal to carry it loaded or cocked."

Oh, boy... this one I really could not resist! Our mutual acquaintance smiled knowingly and nodded approval to me as I glanced his way with an evil smirk.

"This is a GLOCK 22 in the .40 caliber," I stated. "I am going to show it to you and educate you on a finer method of self defense, if you want."

The husbands eyes grew big and he looked as giddy as a schoolboy would at the pistol. "Yes!" He suggested.

I removed the pistol from its holster and, keeping it pointed in a safe direction, I removed the loaded magazine and worked the slide to unload the live round from the chamber. I showed them both the empty chamber for verification. "As you can see, I not only carry this loaded - as it would be silly to carry an unloaded gun - but I carry it with one in the chamber, ready for use."

"But do you carry it cocked?" the husband asked. I realized he truly believed what he had told his wife moments ago.

"Of course. With a GLOCK, the act of inserting a live round into the firing chamber also cocks the hammer. All I have to do to engage a threat is remove the gun from its holster, point at the bad guy, and pull the trigger." I said.

"You just don't tell the cops?" The husband asked.

"No, but it is perfectly legal. I have a permit to carry the pistol."

I told them about Tennessee's handgun carry permit, how most other states had similar permits, and answered many of their questions about carrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.