Sunday, November 15, 2009

Not the economy, but still not fun

On Friday, I learned that I was laid off. Nine counterparts unwillingly got to join me in our new condition. The condition is the unlimited opportunity to seek alternate employment.

My company had just completed a nine-month time span during which time, the company made more money than at any other time in its history.

My territory is up 140% over the same time last year. I was a marketing rep. We sold insurance. My job was to convince independent insurance agents to use my company more often for "high-risk" auto insurance.

The boss's boss stated plainly that it was not a cost-cutting measure. It is simply what they are calling a "change in focus." They are going to market in a different way. I wish I could have been allowed to try to help them market like they will be doing.

I say this not because I wish to have my old job back, but because my next employer is going to find out I adapt pretty easily and meet all challenges. Evidently, my former company did not want to try to do so with me or my co-workers.

Make no mistake, I absolutely loved what I did. I looked forward to going to work every day. I will miss some of the friendships I have forged on the job. I will stay in contact with most of them. My goal now is to get a similar position, if at all possible.

Maybe a gun rep position will be open? I could only hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.