Sunday, November 1, 2009

Funny customer

Another dealing with the public episode. This one happened in Memphis, when I was an Assistant Manager with Enterprise Rent-A-Car (ERAC).

We had a lobby full of people - well over 50 customers in the lobby. Some were renting cars for the weekend - some were returning cars. It was a Friday afternoon.

While returning a car from a customer, out of the corner of my eye, I see a man walk into the branch. There was nothing out of the ordinary with him, it was his behavior that caught my attention. He looked at the people in the lobby with disdain. After a moment, he huffed, sighed out loud and walked out the door.

A part of me was actually kind of excited as that would be one less buffoon I would have to deal with on this fine day. But, I digress.

I watched out of the corner of my eye as the man walked back to his car, which was parked right outside the front of the branch in plain view. He got in, picked up his cell phone, and started making a call.

Mind you, at this point, we have over 50 individuals in line, waiting to pick up or return rental cars. The phones are ringing off the hook. I see my fellow employees in the back - the ones who answer the phones during rushes like this - get overwhelmed at the call volume. I am returning rented cars right and left. Folks have a slip with the mileage and fuel level indicated that they got from one of my co-workers outside, and they lined up in front of me to return the car in the computer and get assigned a ride back to wherever they needed to go.

So I pick up the phone to help out the folks in the back as my job was actually sort of robotic.

"Thank you for calling ERAC, this is [Usagi], how may I help you?"

"Yes, I would like to rent a car..."

"You would like to make a reservation with us?" I ask.

"In fact, I already have a reservation." He says.

At this point, I realize the man in the car, who walked out in a huff is the one with whom I am speaking.

"Very good, sir. When should we pick you up?" I asked.

"Actually, I don't need a ride. I just need a car." he replies.

"Great, when you get here, have your drivers license and form of payment handy and we will get you whatever car you like. We have many to choose from today!" I said with a smile.

"That's the problem. I've already tried to get one, but there were so many... people." he said. The way he said the word "people" was just humorous. It was as if they were germs, or something else he did not want to come in contact with. "Can you come outside and get me the car?" he continued.

"Well, I can do that, but you still have to come to the counter to do the paperwork, first." I answered.

"So can I come right to the front and ask for you? What's your name?"

"Well, my name is [Usagi]. And feel free to ask for me, although I am doing returns today. But you can't just come to the front - you must wait your turn." I advised.

"But I have a reservation!" He exclaimed.

"So do the fifty or so other people in here. It would not be fair to them. You have to wait your turn like all of them have." I said.




I guess having a reservation moves you up to the front. I also guess he never figured other people might have reservations, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.