Sunday, October 4, 2009

Happy Day!

Yesterday, I bought a gun! I know, this really surprises you. But this was my purchase this year for me.

No, I do not buy guns for others (that's a crime). However, I did buy a gun for me earlier that will be enjoyed by my son way more than I will. It was a Cricket .22, made by the Keystone company. It is a youth sized .22 rifle that my son really enjoys shooting. Still, he is not old enough to have one of his own yet, so this one is still officially daddy's.

But yesterday was mine. I purchased a Marlin model 60. This is a .22 rifle identical to the one my father owned for many years. That one that my dad had was the rifle I learned to shoot on. He was forced to sell it several years ago as it no longer was functional. I wanted one for myself and so yesterday I found one at Wal-Mart here in Chattanooga (visiting for the weekend) and purchased it.

The manager of the Wal-Mart was surprisingly knowledgeable and polite. He stated he thought their store policy of having to walk me out the front door before handing me the rifle was asinine - particularly since I had a loaded (legally carried) Glock in the .40 caliber on my hip.

In this case, because the rifle was only a .22, the pistol I carried was far more powerful than the rifle I was buying. That would not have been the case with any centerfire rifle caliber.

Also, got to take the rifle up to my uncle's place and shoot it. It is just as accurate as I remember my dad's old one being. I look forward to a generation or two worth of fun and use from this little device. Mrs. Usagi loved it. My son loved it - he did get to shoot it under close supervision. My daughter will likely love it once she's old enough to shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.