Monday, August 31, 2009

Was this manipulative?

This is my third "Dealing with the Public" post this evening. I had several memories tonight and wanted to get them down just for you, kind reader.

Setting: I was a "Management Assistant" at Enterprise on Covington Pike in Memphis. This would have been spring 2000. I was actually at a point where I would be promoted soon, so I was getting the hang of the rental business at this point.

Now let me tell you a few things that will help you understand this story. First, many people in Memphis had an "entitlement" mentality. They felt they deserved something for free. Working in the car rental industry in Memphis was very taxing on a person's mind for this reason. I had fewer renters like this in 18 months of rental in the Nashville area than I dealt with in a week in Memphis.

When dealing with car rental operations, renters with that "entitlement mentality" often requested/demanded/expected things to be different just for them. Many people would ask why they had to show me their drivers license when it was the dealership or insurance company paying for the car. They said, many times "you're renting the car to them, why do I have to show you my license?"

In all fairness, these other companies were paying for a rental car. But law says responsibility for all things, including payment, ultimately falls on the shoulders of the individual who signs for the car. That's contract law for you.

These same people would challenge every bit of information we would ask for (which was limited to seeing their license, verifying the address was correct, two contact phone numbers, and asking who their insurance was with, as well as whether there would be any additional drivers - such as a spouse). They would whine and complain that we were taking so long. They would refuse to provide the information (and get a shocked look when we would say "OK, may I help the next person in line, please?"), and generally make our lives a little more stressful.

Other renters would say "since they are paying for it, I want to get a Lincoln or Caddy!" Most places that pay for your rental car only approve payment of "basic transportation." How many times did I have to tell people that. Then they would expect me to give them the better car in a free upgrade!

OK - So back to the story.

I was at the point where I could tell in advance when a customer was going to be of the "entitlement mentality." If I picked them up from a repair shop, I made small talk on the way back, and the person would usually give some tell-tale signs of being that way. This day, I had one of those people!

He asked "how long will this take?" in a very condescending tone. This was the primary indicator of the "entitlement mentality."

I replied, with full blown sarcasm delivered in a straight face - "as long as you want it to, sir."

He asked "What is that supposed to mean?"

I told him, straight up, "You see, we have some people argue every step of the way, refuse to give me the information I need to rent you the car, and so on. You will see people back at the Branch office doing this. And you will see that it takes them forever to get their car. On the other hand, people who answer my questions can get a car in 90 seconds. So, as you see, it really just depends on you. I'd just as soon rent the car as fast as possible - because there will be more people there waiting in line and it will help me get to them faster."

Surprise of all surprises, he cooperated... as best he could.

At one point, he questioned why I was asking for his phone number. I responded, "90 seconds, sir.) I had the phone number immediately.

He got his car in 90 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.