Friday, August 21, 2009

A mind changed

Last night, my wife and I dined out on our last night this week without the kids (the kids are at Mrs. Usagi's parents' house this week).

At the end of dinner, I asked our waitress - who had indicated earlier in the evening that she had been a server for several years - what she thought about "the whole guns in bars thing." The response was fascinating.

She said she felt guns and alcohol do not mix - and I agree.
She said she wished there was some sort of control put on it.
She said she wished restaurant workers and owners had been granted a vote in the matter.
She said that it would "freak her out." (please note, at this point, I decided not to show her my GLOCK).
She said that she wished she knew who was carrying, so she could "choose not to serve them alcohol." Much like they will "cut off" a drunk who has had too much that night.

After all of this, I told her "I was going to suggest some changes to the law," and I asked her opinion on my proposed changes. These are the "changes" I proposed to her:
- Require only Handgun Carry Permit holders be allowed to carry.
- To get a permit, the holder must submit to a criminal background check.
- Also to get a permit, a person must show themselves proficient with a pistol.
- The HCP holder would not be allowed to drink while carrying.
- Any business that still did not want HCP holders to carry could put up a sign that carried the weight of law.

She agreed to these conditions, and said that would be a good idea! I politely informed her that despite the media's attempts to portray it otherwise, that's exactly how the law is now.

Our server turned to me, surprised, and made a statement that to me at the time made sense, though I don't fully agree with the principle. She said she wished then that HCP holders had to open-carry so servers would know whom not to serve alcohol to. Pretty slick thinking on the spot for someone who admits she has never seen a real gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.