Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Black Belts in Martial Arts

Let me talk a moment about another pet peeve I have in the martial arts. High ranking Black Belts. I feel not everybody will deserve one. But I feel they should have a component of being achievable by outstanding individuals.

The organization I have been appointed President of seems to hand out 9th and 10th Dan pretty regularly to just about anybody over the age of 50 in the martial arts. I do not like this in my organization or in others.

I feel there should be one of the following criteria for attaining high ranks: service to the art, ability, and longevity. The last component, longevity within the art, I feel is a pre-requisite. I do not feel there should be a 9th or 10th Dan who has been in the arts for less than 40 years or so. Maybe longer.

For persons who have enough time in the art, not all should get to the highest levels. I think these highest levels should be reserved for those showing outstanding ability, or outstanding service to the art.

For example, if one has had many competitive victories, or multiple tournament wins and national or international success, then this is someone who has outstanding ability. Likewise, coaches and teachers who consistently train champions should be deserving.

As an example with regards to service to the art, someone who makes the art more well known should qualify. Someone who makes other significant contributions allowing for the growth, expansion, or advancement of the art should also be eligible.

As an example, Chuck Norris. He was extremely successful in tournament competition. He has longevity. Additionally, he has made karate famous the world over due to his film work. This is a man deserving a 9th and 10th Dan.

On the flip side, Jimmy Pedro. He has had a tremendous record in tournament Judo. However, he is still in his 40's, so he does not yet have the longevity. However, in his 50's and 60's he should be a lock for 9th and, later, 10th Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.