Monday, August 17, 2009

Afraid, are you?

This happened to me over the weekend. I was going to eat at a restaurant with family. However, this restaurant, in light of our new law that allows me to carry in their place of business, has decided to post a sign saying essentially "no guns allowed."

Now, when posted in accordance to the law (TCA 39-17-1359), and this place was, the sign carries the weight of law. This means if I carry in there anyways, and am discovered, I could face a fine and jail time. Tennessee is one of only two states that give the sign weight of law (TX being the other).

So I march back out to my car, place my sidearm in the car, and go back in armed only with a business card. The card reads "no guns = no money" and explains the requirements to obtain a TN carry permit, as well as advising the owner/manager of the establishment that such a sign lets criminals know there are no armed patrons, and therefore, the establishment is providing the lawbreakers a safe working environment.

I hand the card to Hostess #1 and explain myself cordially, and with a smile on my face. I attempt to look as non-threatening as a man my size can look. Hostess #1 says she will go get the manager. Hostess #2 asks what this is about and Hostess #1 gives a brief explanation. Hostess #1 goes off to find the manager.

Hostess #2 gets the widest eyes I've ever seen on a living person!

Her stare is glued to me. It is a mixture of fear and awe and uncertainty. Her concentration is squarely on me. I only wished girls had ever oogled me like that before I got married!

Hostess #2, still fixated on me, sheepishly asks: "Do you have a gun on you now?"

I smile and advise her "no way, I do not break the law - that's how I got the permit in the first place. My holster is empty." I turned and showed her my empty holster on my belt, under my shirt.

Hostess #2 lets out a loud and distinct sigh of relief. She then proceeds to ask questions about carrying, and the like. I answer the questions as completely and honestly as possible, including why I will not eat there this evening - because I do not wish to sacrifice my ability to protect myself and my family.

After a few moments, the manager comes up and I explain myself in a non-confrontational manner. I've done this many times, at both restaurants (lately) and with other places of business. The manager indicates it is a corporate edict and I smile ans politely ask if she would forward my concern.

Manager obliges, and I turn and bid the three of them (hostess #1 returned with the manager) a pleasant evening and my sincerest wishes that bad guys would steer clear of them.

But I will always remember the look on the second hostess' face. Priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.