Friday, July 10, 2009

Repo Story

OK, for this installment, I will take you back to the first part of 2001. I was the assistant manager of the Enterprise on Mendenhall in Memphis (this location has since moved to Winchester Rd.).

Yet again, we had a renter who had no $500 for her deductible to get her car out of the shop. Why these folks never figured on it BEFORE putting their cars in the shop still is beyond me.

So, the insurance company stops paying. Renter finally gets her car out of the shop. Mysteriously, she never returns the rental. I speak to the bodyshop manager who advised me she had paid for and reclaimed her car. I asked him if she dropped the rental off there.

Side note on dropping a rental car off somewhere other than the rental location:
Yes, sometimes people are foolish enough to leave a rental car somewhere other than the rental outlet - DON't EVER DO THIS, folks - the liability you face is incredible. And the number of vehicles damaged in such a case is very high - guess who gets to pay for that - YOU! And it is not only legal, but it is correct as well. The rental agreement you signed states you are responsible for the car until YOU return the car to the rental location (even if they brought the car to you!).

Meanwhile, I try to contact renter. No luck. Phone calls are not being answered. Finally, the card stops authorizing and she gets behind. I get keys cut.

My wife, Michelle and I have just finished a "date night" which consisted of dinner and a movie. I have the keys and ask if she wants to go on a repo. Of course she does (Michelle loves going on repos!).

So we arrive at the renter's residence and the car is in the driveway. No signs that say "No Trespassing" so this baby is a go. I walk up to the car and see why the renter has not returned the car. She is embarrased.

This car had been in a pretty bad wreck. All of the damage was on the front end and the driver's side. For all I know, this one may have tipped up on one side. It was a physical exertion to open the door. It was mangled shut.

I get in and we drive away - back to the rental branch. I have gone no more than two blocks when I realize the engine is about to overheat. No coolant. I pull over and realize there's not much radiator left, either.

TWO HOURS later I finally get the car a mile and a half down the road to a repair facility we used. I called them that Saturday morning, even though it was my day off so they could get to work on the car.

I guess she thought we would just forget about the car and she would never have to pay for the damages?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.