Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The perfectly normal repo

This repo was exactly what every repo should be. There was nothing special about it at all. No damage to the car, no funny conversations, no huge amount owed.

I write this so as to provide the reader with the ideal repo.

Setting:
Memphis, 2001.
The renter had rented with a credit card and kept the car about a week past the originally indicated return date. The card declined further authorizations. No phone calls were returned. The renter owed about $75.

I got a key cut. After work (6 pm was normal closing time), at about 6:30, I drove by the renter's apartment to look for the car. No luck.

The next morning, I drove by at about 6:30 am (office opened at 7:30). The car was sitting there. I parked my car in a different part of the apartment complex, near the front office. I walked up to the car, got in, started it, and left. The branch was about a mile away.

Later in the morning, I had a fellow employee drive me down so I could get my personal car back.

Later that afternoon, the renter called us to see if we had reclaimed the car. We advised him that we had, and that he owed about $75. He never came in and paid, so we put him in collections for the amount and filled out an I-9 form.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.