Friday, July 3, 2009

Another repo story

In case you can't tell, the first couple of Repo Stories were indeed the best ones I have. However, since there are all kinds of people, I am sure some of these others will entertain some of you folks out there in internet land.

Setting: Just outside of Jackson, TN. I am a newly-promoted assistant manager. Renter obtained the car under the impression that an insurance company would pick up the tab. They didn't. It really was not the renter's fault - I could see his point of view in the claim. In fact, I think the insurance company was taking him for a ride and not paying the claim because they knew he was poor and could not fight the decision.

Renter lived WAY out in the boonies. Nearest neighbor was two miles away, etc. His only telephone number he gave was disconnected (naturally). The cash he left for a deposit ran out fairly quickly. I was able to reach him through a cousin (last name was the same as another renter we had - lucky find, really). He kept claiming he would "take it to his attorney."

Evidently, my persuasive powers of trying to get him to bring back the rental car before he owed us money (or at least coming by and dropping off some more cash so he could keep it longer) were as of yet, unrefined as he ignored my suggestions.

So days passed and the money was used up and he got into the red.

Now let me explain something. In Tennessee, it is entirely up to the rental agency as to when they want their car back. Technically, a repo could happen while the customer still had cash (or charge) left on file to pay. However, as circumstances fluctuate and as all people are different, the usual rule of thumb was to wait until the renter was two to three days behind and multiple contact attempts before attempting a repo.

This situation was slightly different. I had spoken with the insurance company directly and all but pleaded with them to allow us to bill them. No dice (as I mentioned, my persuasive abilities were as of yet unrefined). I could see this one coming in advance.

So the day before the money ran out, I had a key cut.

When the day came, I was prepared with a map, the key, and a ride. We were doing a delivery a bit past the renter's residence that day and I tagged along. Instructions for the others included a request to have them try to call me on the branch cell phone to see if I would need a ride back. They would drop me off and then assume I got the repo if they did not hear from me.

I found the car and stepped in after being dropped off. Key in, engine started, car in gear and then it died. (Remember my two rules? This is why!)

I tried it again and got identical results.

Then I see the renter walking out of his domicle (a fairly classy looking mobile home). I'm busted. Well, no doubt what I'm trying to do so there is no need to try to cover it up, either.

Eventually, I convinced the renter to hand over the key, since he had no more money to give me. All the while, he was threatening to call his attorney, because "this wasn't right." Understand, he did not like me repo'ing the car, but he was really mad at the insurance company, not me. He made that clear. I was glad, because he smelled of drugs and the dogs all around me were barking like mad.

So I leave and get back to the branch. I close out the rental contract and he owes... $1.81. Yep, almost two bucks. But the manager of the branch had insisted I do that one, so I did. And I wrote off the $1.81. That actually got the manager irate at me... cursing and yelling. At my prior assigment, as a mere Management Trainee, I had once written off over $500 and nobody bated an eye. This guy was a new manager, and did not want his profitability hurt.

Since most managers at that time made 5% commission off of the branch profits, I gave him a dime out of my pocket to cover his loss. His response? He looked at me incredulously and said "you don't get it." I still take exception to that comment. Besides, I was NOT going to be the assistant manager to put somebody in collections for $1.81.

Repo: not really that interresting or unusual.
Manager's response: Priceless for the idiocy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.