Friday, June 26, 2009

Memories

When I speak with different people out there about my past employment and interesting things I've done, one of the most common "fan favorites" is from my days with Enterprise Rent a Car in Memphis, TN. I say "fan favorites because a part of my duties there included repossessing cars in situations where renters were behind on the rental fees.

To clear some things up, repo's happen in in the car rental business for numerous reasons.
Sometimes people's credit cards would max out or decline for some other reason.
Sometimes people were getting a car through an insurance company (who was footing the bill) and they were delayed several days in getting their car out of the shop. The insurance company would naturally stop paying for the car, and the renter often would not have left a credit card on file (or it maxed out, or declined). Sometimes the delay was the person did not have the $500 for the deductible to get their car out of the shop.
Sometimes people just misrepresented themselves to the rental agency and intended from the start to get some rental time for free.

Regardless of reason, repo's happened. In Memphis more so than in other parts of the state. One manager I had said if we were not doing several repo's per week, we were not doing our jobs right. So I will on this blog, occasionally recount stories of repos.

To set the record straight, I was never shot at, or even really threatened. The typical repo involved me getting the car when the renter least expected it. Usually the renter did not know until later that the car was gone. Rarely did I speak to a renter whilst repossessing Enterprise's car. Never did I knowingly break any law, or put myself or the company in great jeapordy (other than simply bing in a bad section of town).

Repo Story 1: soon to come

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.