Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Martial Arts

This Friday & Saturday, I am scheduled to teach a martial arts seminar in Cocoa Beach, FL. I am excited as I really enjoy doing these types of things.

The last time I taught anything (empty handed) martial arts related was last November in Kentucky, I did a prep class for a grappling tournament. Although i was unable to attend the tournament, I understand the attendees of the class did really well. I am and was really proud of them.

This time, I get to teach stuff I really like to teach. The title of the seminar is MMA (Mixed-Martial Arts) grappling for strikers. There will also be a side-focus on self defense. This seminar was the request of Jimmy Jackson and Bill Holland on behalf of their students who wanted an entire seminar on the grappling arts.

In this seminar, I will cover the most common situations that a person is likely to see and need in a regular fist-fight or in MMA. There are many similarities between the two, but make no mistake, MMA is a sport. There are rules (to prohibit the most effective techniques and ensure the general safety of the participants).

My goal is to teach the students who attend as much as I can, to become as effective as possible in a short amount of time (11 hour seminar). Naturally, they will need to continue to practice after teh seminar is over. However, any person who attends and stays awake will have the fundamental knowledge to keep himself safe in 95% of the street-fight situations he might ever encounter.

I look forward to this and would love to answer questions about what we are going to cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.