Wednesday, August 4, 2021

What is In A Trademark?

Some time back, there was an ad for the Patriot Training class,  Urban Rifleman. This message was received:

Sporting Goods Store Owner: "Urban Rifleman is my trademarked company name."

Patriot Training: "That's a good name.  Do you also name your classes 'Urban Rifleman'?"

SGSO: "It is a trademarked name.  I own the name.  For any use."

PT: "That's an interesting claim.  Do you have a site or Facebook page or something similar where I can see it in use?
Last thing I want to do is use someone else's trademark. 
And naturally, anyone can make the claim - so I am simply politely asking for proof."

SGSO: <sends websites>

PT: "Those are nice pages."

SGSO: "I'm not trying to be a jerk at all."

PT: "I'm not going to be a jerk either.  Do you have proof of your trademark?"

SGSO: "Yes I do! Maybe you could tell everyone I let you use the name. I am not making a big deal of it.  Just letting you know the name is trademarked.  Cost me $400!!"

PT: "Without proof of a trademark, I am not inclined to say or do anything different. 
With proof of trademark that demonstrates I cannot name the class that, I will happily change the name of the class."

SGSO: <sends link to a trademark that has been applied for.>

PT: "That site states you just filed for a trademark. It does not indicate that the trademark has been approved.
Furthermore, it says that the applied for trademark is for "Firearm accessories and sporting goods."
As I do not sell firearms accessories nor sporting goods, and certainly not named "Urban Rifleman," this will not suffice as proof."

SGSO: "OK man. Do whatever you want."



Maybe he was trying to extort? Maybe he wanted money for nothing? No telling.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.