Thursday, November 3, 2022

iFails

New blog category - iFails. This is a documentation of iPhone failures. 

In 2012, my company issued me an iPhone. I lamented on FB that I didn't like it because it was an inferior platform than the Blackberry I'd had for so long. Of course, many well-meaning friends who cannot read came along to assure me I'd like it "once I learned how to use it." Problem was - I already knew how to use it, hence the reason I did not want one! 

Fortunately, they did away with the iPhone mandate a couple of years after. They realized their errors in using an iPhone only app and went to a different service that supported Android, as well. I switched and have never looked back. 


Fast forward - I got a new job back in June, and they issued me an iPhone. 


Let the games begin again. 

First installment - pictures. 
My boss wanted to see pictures of folks Halloween adventures. This past weekend, my son turned 18 and we took him and several of his friends to Lake Winnie. My brother and sister joined us. My sister's husband and several inlaws were there. My brother's son was also there. Many pictures were taken. I had them sent to me. 

I texted the pictures to my company iPhone to share on Slack as others had done. Of course, the iPhone was unable to load a single picture to Slack, much less many. A quick Google search showed some possible fixes for that iPhone variant. None of which worked, of course. So I went to email the pictures to myself. 

ONLY TO FIND THAT THE iPhone EMAIL APPS CANNOT ATTACH MORE THAN ONE PICTURE AT A TIME. And if you try to send an email first, and make an attachment later, forget it! Again Googled fixes. Again complete and total failure. 



Solution - I went to my Samsung Galaxy A51, quickly opened a new email, attached about 10 photos, and sent them to my work email. Making the upload to Slack painless from my company issued computer. The whole process took less than 60 seconds. 

4 comments:

  1. umm, you can attach multiple photos to emails on the iphone. and to texts. etc...
    i've seen me do it many times.
    Here are two ways:
    1. when composing an email, long tap to get the copy|paste|etc... popup and slide over to "inter photo or video", tap that, tap all the photos and videos you want to attach.
    2. in the photos app, hit select (top right) and then select all the photos you want to send, then click the arrow in the square icon (bottom left) and choose the app with which to send them all.

    no idea about slack, don't use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the suggestions. Those were the top two methods suggested by Google. on my company iPhone 11 (and duplicated with attempts on my son's iPhone 13), here is how those turned out:

    1. No option for "inter photo or video." Had an option to attach a single photo or video, that was it. And even that had to go through some hoops to find. I would write what steps were needed, but they changed each and every time. Bad look for the iPhone (as always).

    2. I can either select multiple items, or I can attach to an email. Cannot do both. If I select multiple, and then select the email, all items become deselected and we are back at square 1. Tried multiple times, and selecting two or more photos or files *always* resulted in deselecting. Again, I tried this on my son's iPhone because it is possible that my employer blocked this function... but the same happened. He even stated I had to "simply send multiple emails." Also verified this with a friend with a more modern personal iPhone.

    On Slack, there is a standard "paper clip" button for adding attachments. On the desktop and Android versions, this has the function of adding pictures or files. On the iPhone... you guessed it: everything gets deselected and we start back at Step 1.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "inter" = "insert". :)

    i walked over to the helpdesk and tried it out on a bunch of different iphones - 7,8,6+,xsMax,11. all worked fine.

    If your phone is being managed by an MDM, they maaaybeee this is a setting in there. I have studiously avoided managing mobile devices post-blackberry. but weird that you can dupe this on multiple phones.

    try a real reset - hold down the power and up volume and slide to power off. give it a minute and then hold the power to turn back on.

    i recorded screen vids of me doing both techniques if you want to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestions. A reset was about the 3rd or 4th thing that was tried. Maybe I got a lemon. Maybe my kids did, as well. Maybe it is the carrier. Maybe I am stupid. I have screen shots of the failures... but have to email those to myself one at a time. Lol.

      Fact is, the phone is hot garbage. I'd love to be proven wrong.

      Delete

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.