Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Sniper Basics Review




In April, I ventured for a third time to Tactical Response. The purpose of this trip was to take Sniper Basics. Unlike Fighting Pistol, the class had no handout, so I shall follow the instructions from Fighting Pistol on making a review.

Who -
Who attended? I attended, no friends with me this time. There were four other shooters.
Who taught? Instructors were Jay and Louis.
Who could take this and benefit from it? Someone who has dabbled with marksmanship and owns a precision rifle.
Who did I like and who did I want to punch? I liked all of the instructors and participants.
Of note on this topic - the rear tire of my car went flat on Day 2 - while I was in class. Louis, the instructor, patched the tire for me. I dare you to get this at any other firearms school. 


What -
What class? Sniper Basics
What did I do? All of the drills as guided by the instructors.
What did I learn that I expected? Marksmanship and holdovers and wind holds.
What did I see? A very well thought out curriculum designed to get a person with decent listening skills on target out to mid range.
What did I hear? Very good and clear instructions.
What gear did I use? A MK12 Mod 0 Clone with a Trijicon Credo scope. 20 round mags were more than adequate. 
What gear did everyone else use? One other shooter had an accurized, home-built AR15. The other three used tactical precision bolt actions - all in .308. The bolt guns all experienced several malfunctions. For the record, we fired a bit over 200 rounds in 2 days - not extreme by any measure. The Precision semi-autos were definitely the better choice. 
What was I good at and what did I work on? As expected, I was the best marksman on the line. This allowed me to work on adding material and presentation concepts for my classes. A couple of the modules had things that will be modified slightly and worked into my classes. 
What class will I take next? Unknown at this time. Have already taken 4 classes this year. 
What did I learn from other students? Quite a bit. There were two younger shooters, and two older. There were two lighter students and two heavier. On many drills, I gladly performed first so as to break the ice. 
What did I learn at dinner with the instructors? Jay was kind enough to entertain my questions. Many of which about the industry of firearms instruction. Louis chimed in. Tim and Brian were teaching Fighting Pistol the same weekend, and they joined us. Brian also answered some of those questions. 
What did I learn from the lectures? There were no real lectures.


Where -
Where did you come from and where did you attend? I came from Mt. Juliet, and attended at Camden.
Where did you hear about Tactical Response? Internet, years ago. I own several of their DVDs.
Where will you train next? Not sure. I have my eye on a few certifications. Those may come next.


When -
When did you hear about the class? Last year, browsing through their course offerings.
When did you decide it was right for you? Last fall, right after making a bit of money. 
When did you attend? April 9 & 10.
When did you know you made the right choice (defining moment)? When doing the drill where we ran back to grab a single round, then back to our gun, loaded it, and fired on the target. That was fun. 


Why -
Why do you train? Because I like to train. Because it is needed. Because I want to train others more effectively. Because I wish to increase my martial abilities.
Why did you choose Tactical Response? In short - because some people said do not go there. And I've been there. And they boil the topics down to "stupid-simple."


Additional Thoughts
Most of the drills were performed at 100-200 yards. Over 99% of police and military sniper engagements are from under 200 yards. Make no mistake, we went out to nearly 500 yards. 


Run this class with a clean, lubricated, precision AR15. 


The assistant instructors I have helping me are the best around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be displayed after approval.
Approval depends on what you say and how you say it.